Sunday, September 24, 2006

One Year

I believe yesterday was the one year anniversary of our arrival in Tanzania. So today I had pizza with two of the guys from our region. I think one of the reasons this was a low key event is because most of the people in my region have been together for a week of TOT training and it does not really feel like it has been a year. Apparently the new education volunteers have arrived and within 24 hours the first one has returned home.

Last week the form 4s had their graduation ceremony. It was interesting how the ceremonies are done by religion, but a little sad to see the differences between them. Since Msufini is a Lutheran school it is not surprising that theirs was the best organized. The Catholics also had a big celebration but apparently they were not happy to sit through the Lutheran fundraising event before they were awarded their certificates. Also they were disappointed that the headmistress did not give them much time to celebrate. They had just finished their meal and turned on the music when they were informed that it was time to clean up and start studying. This is still much better than the Muslim students who didn't even get a certificate.

I attended the Lutheran ceremony which went from 10 to 3PM and the Catholic meal/ celebration. Additionally I made oatmeal cinnamon raisin cookies for all the form 4 students. They were a huge success and the students were not only dumbfounded that I could make them but also that there was something between a cake and a biscuit that is called a cookie. After the food the students were supposed to be cleaning but many used the time to take graduation pictures. As both their teacher and a white person I was constantly beckoned to be in somebody's photo. Demand was to the point where I would stand in place and the students would surround me for the group photo. Then the next group would form around me. I suppose it was a very small glimpse at what life would be like for a celebrity, and though I enjoyed it the entertainment is very limited and am glad such occasions will only come once a year. After the graduation ceremony my relations with the students has been greatly improved. I know their names. New students have been asking for help, and since there has not been power during the day I have actually opened up the library for students.

Here's to one year in Tanzania!
T.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

s