Monday, October 16, 2006

Salt and other surprisingly bland news

I don't think ever shared this with you but about a month ago, I had very minor illness which if you are not careful can dehydrate you. To combat this sickness and expedite recovery I decided it was best to not only drink a lot of water but also consume salt. I discovered that not only does Tang taste exactly like Gatorade when sufficiently salted but that peanut butter becomes significantly better with salt as well (most often added to PB and J sandwiches).

Also as some of you have noted I have had my second birthday in Africa. The day itself was not really celebrated--I gave an exam and marked some of the papers. However, I did spend a night in Moshi having fun with other PCV's the weekend before. As far as the african tradition on birthdays I don't really have much to comment because I didn't really tell people about my birthday. Although at graduation (mentioned my last email) i learned about a cake tradition where the guest of honour is fed by toothpicks from most of the guests and then friends feed each other similarly. I think that birthdays can be turned into a large celebration and imagine it would follow the standard Tanzanian procedure. The host sends out invitations to guests telling the time and place and requests money in advance to help make the occasion memorable. Then the party would consist of an area decorated with balloons and streamers (if they are available)where there is a dinner for lots of people coupled by speeches from the head table. After the dinner sometimes there is cake and then there is music.

I am now celebrating the end of exams for my form 4's. Last week they took their math exam, which I think many will pass, but after the mock I would not to put any money on it. The last week has been fun--I just wish I was not the TOD for it.
It's been great to hear from so many of you,

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

s